Goals and Plans
Do you know the difference between goals and plans? Goals are what you would LIKE to do and plans are what you are GOING to do. There’s a big difference between the two but many think they’re the same thing.
And suddenly, it’s New Year’s Eve. Most of us are walking around cluck-clucking over “where has the year gone” and figuring out what we’re going to wear or eat tonight. Many of us are also reflecting on what we accomplished this year and making plans for what we will do in 2014. I’m no different. We’re preparing for a night in with the girls and their friends where we’ll fill our bellies with artery clogging “fun” food, stay up til midnight and sing Auld Lang Syne.
This year was a pretty cool year for me. On January 1st I posted my goals for 2013. Here’s what they were – complete with notes on how I did:
- I will consistently post at least 4 times a week. Amazing when you post every day how much more traffic you get. Not even close.
- I will be at least a finalist in the Shorty’s again, if not win the award for Mom in social media. Was a top 10 finalist, but didn’t win.
- I will continue to get posts featured on blogging sites such as BlogHer. Did it.
- I will expand my listings to sites like Babble, CafeMom, etc. Yes – but not those sites.
- I will attend at least 2 blogging conferences. Right now I’m planning on Type-A Parent and BlogHer. If the budget and Rooster allow, I may try for another. Only got to 1. Ended up canceling BlogHer at the last minute.
- I would like to speak at a conference. My background as a social media professional serves that audience well. Didn’t happen but I applied a few times.
- I would like to see my daily site views at least quadruple. Doubled. Maybe.
- I will do a professional site redesign. Nope.
- I will increase my ad dollars and sponsored contests. More dollars means I get to go to more conferences. This increased but I dropped the ball on tracking.
- I will write more honestly. Not that my writing before was lies, but it was a bit guarded at times. I have so many stories bouncing in my head that I almost started an anonymous blog this year just so I cold tell them. I will tell those stories here instead. Meh.. half and half on this one.
- I will keep finding other amazing bloggers out there and share their stories as well. NAILED this one.
- I will continue to have the best fricking readers to known to blog-kind. Another win!
What is missing in this list are the things that happened that I wasn’t expecting. Like becoming a published author along with 29 other amazing women. I would have NEVER put “write a book” on any list and yet it happened. I owe that largely in part to the 2nd to last item above.
I met some AMAZING blogging friends this year who have become great friends to me. It’s hard to name them all but I have to say the one who’s had the biggest impact on me is Michelle over at A Dish of Daily Life. We met initially online and then were lucky enough to both be at Bloggy Boot Camp. The rest is history. We have so much in common and have become sounding boards to each other on many topics. She is the one who brought me into the Ladies Only Blog Share circle which in turn led to aforementioned book. I love Michelle and ALL the ladies she vicariously led me to.
So what’s in store for two-oh-one-four?
- Well first and foremost – it’s my TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY!! Holy cow, y’all! This blog-baby was birthed in 2004 so expect a LOT of reflection and one helluva giveaway!
- Going to try to hit 2 conferences.. just not sure which ones yet.
- Thinking about coordinating one here in NC. Yes, I’m crazy but hey.. build it and they will come, right?
- My plan is to post 3 times a week and my goal is 5.
- I will plan on posting more “informational” posts since that is apparently what everyone is searching for according to the insights.
- I am planning on posting more LOCAL things. I live in a great area and haven’t given enough love to my local peeps. I know my out-of-town readers won’t gain as much from these posts, but hey.. you’ll get over it 🙂
- I WILL do a professional redesign this year.
- I will practice what I preach and stick to my editorial calendar. It really DOES help.
- I will do more “other” type of posts.. video, pictures, etc. I think it’s more fun for all of us.
- I will stick to a schedule that includes me shutting my laptop down by 9 and in bed by 10. I’m getting “older”, yo.
I think these are pretty realistic goals and plans. What are you planning on doing?
One thing that I have never done before is the “word of the year”. I’ve decided that I am going to do it this year and that my word is going to be CONQUER. I think this word fits me on so many levels.. personal and professional. There are so many things that I want to conquer this year and I am putting the pieces in motion to do that.
As we close the door on 2013, I wish you all the most amazing new year. As cliché as it may seem, there IS something magical and fresh about the start of a new year! Thank you for being a part of my life!