Netflix Pairings for the Hard-to-Please Family Members
It’s been a long time since my girls were young enough to spend hours in front of the TV watching their favorite shows. It’s not that they don’t do it know, it’s that they don’t really do it together since their taste in shows are so different now. But back in the day? They could argue and fight all day long but as soon as I flipped the TV on (Flipped?! When was the last time you FLIPPED a TV on??) I knew they would settle down and suddenly, not a peep out of them.
Call it bad parenting to put them in front of a TV if you will, I call it mommy’s little sanity card.
When kids are little, they all pretty much like the same shows. For us it was Blues Clues, Dora, Hannah Montana, Wonder Pets and my personal favorite – Powerpuff Girls. As they got older and their interests started to shift, it was a little more challenging to find shows that they all liked and if you find yourself in the same spot, Netlfix has pairings that may just help you out!
If there’s an age difference:
So you have a 5 year old and you’ve asked your 12 year old to “babysit”. What shows could they watch together that they both would love? How about these:
- Home – When alien creatures invade the Earth, the humans aren’t too happy but one alien boy and one Earth girl manage to get along just fine.
- Fuller House – You better know this one by now because I’ve talked about it so much but it’s got ALL age groups covered.. babies, tweens, teens, moms and the boomers!!
- How to Train Your Dragon – My 12YO loved this show and secretly, so did her middle sister.
If one’s sweet and the other’s a little salty:
I think most families have one kid that’s sweeter than the other.. even if it’s a different kid at a different time. So how do you please them both without one of them going into a sugar overload?
- LEGO Friends – You have a group of friends which means you have a group of different personalities to content with. Sounds like home, right?
- Dawn of the Croods – Literally the first family since the show’s about the cave days! How a family deals with life without Netflix. Just kidding.
- High School Musical – Okay.. this is definitely one we all watched together – even dad. Matter of fact, caught my 17YO listening to the soundtrack just the other day. I think she was reliving her glory days…
And finally… when they’re older like mine
You didn’t think I could really get out of this without telling you what the older kids like, did you? While they may not watch them together, they will watch them in their own caves and discuss them later together. That totally counts, right?!
- Degrassi: Next Class – You already know the 14YO and I binged this one together (after she’d binged it twice herself). If you have kids in highschool, I guarantee they’ll recognize a situation or person they’ve seen before while watching the show.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – This one’s a winner for all of us. It’s funny for both adults and older kids and creator/producer, Tina Fey has promised to ‘keep it clean’ which means it’s safe family viewing!
- Lost & Found – It’s like Fame for this generation. A group of uber-talented songwriters and musicians at an exclusive school going thru the normal teenage trials and tribulations. Big favorite of my 14YO who’s a band geek.
- Girl Meets World – Cory and Topanga get hitched and have a family so you know Boy Meets World fans love this show and love watching it with the new generation of fans – their kids!
Still can’t decide?
No one knows how many choices Netflix offers than me. There are times when we really want to watch something and just can’t decide or come to a mutual agreement. Now you can decide which show to watch the same way you decided how many kids you were going to have in the 7th grade..
Netflix Fortune Teller!
That’s right!! This little handy-dandy fortune teller can save you hours of indecisiveness and family fighting! Just download it, print it, fold it up and start letting your tv destiny be decided! Just click on the fortune teller below and get started!
DISCLAIMER: WE’RE BIG FANS AND LONG-TIME CUSTOMERS OF NETFLIX AND I AM PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF THE NETFLIX STREAMTEAM. I RECEIVED A NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTION AND A STREAMING DEVICE IN RETURN FOR POSTING NETFLIX UPDATES AND REVIEWS. OF COURSE, ALL THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN.