Is there a cheater living in your house? When Friday night rolls around, do they seem nervous, shifty-eyed, and stumble on their words? When you ask them what they want to do for date night, do they proclaim “Anything you want.. I just want you to be happy!” and then proceed to be overly accommodating? When you settle in to watch your favorite show together, do they act like it’s something they’ve seen before?
If so, you may have a series cheater on your hands. Admittedly, this type of cheating isn’t quite the same as sleeping with someone, in which case we all love seeing cheaters exposed. Nonetheless, some people take Netflix infidelity very serious indeed!
Netflix adultery is a real thing. According to a Netflix study (yes, there are studies. You know it’s legit when there are studies…), 46% of couples who are watching a show together have cheated by watching episodes without their viewing partner. Before I get to the findings from Netflix, I did what any savvy writer would do – I took a poll on Facebook to see if my followers considered Netflix adultery a punishable crime. Here are their thoughts:
Some of the statistics about Netflix adultery that you may find interesting:
- Of the 46% who actually admitted to cheating, 50% are married (that’s a given – heaven forbid you actually talk to each other)
- 28% do it when one of them is on a business trip (I can see this one)
- 25% after their partner has fallen asleep (that is so wrong people… they’re RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!!)
- 60% say they just can’t help it… the shows are just TOO good (I can understand that)
- 18% have gotten into a verbal argument about cheating (I think that number is low)
- 14% think cheating is worse than having an actual affair (uhm… that’s a little extreme, friends)
- 45% don’t confess to cheating (so you’re a cheater AND a liar. Or is that the same thing…)
- 61% would cheat more if they could get away with it (OMG people… you’re killing me here)
- 81% cheat more than one time (so basically, y’all are just modern day Hester Prynne’s)
Which Netflix Shows Are the Most Tempting for Cheaters?
- Stranger Things
- House of Cards
- Black Mirror
See – Netflix adultery is a real problem and one that should apparently come with punishment that is swift and just. Like removing the batteries from the remote when you leave the house or changing the WiFi password. Whatever you have to do to make it stop.
But what if it’s YOU that’s the cheater? How can you get your fix in when the new season of House of Cards or OITNB comes out without getting caught?! Here are a few handy tips that could help you out:
I’m kind of fond of the burner profile… have to keep that one in mind. Not that I would ever stoop so low as to cheat on my series buddy… 😉
Have you ever cheated or been cheated on by your binge buddy? How did you handle it? Would love to hear your thoughts. Until then, I’m off to watch The Crown…Guilt free because I’m flying solo on this one!!